Actually SSG Maravi the Soldiers are not allowed to wear the 82nd patch regardless of being attached to them. I agree with you that Soldiers should take pride in the organization they are apart of. My last deployment I supported a lot of great organizations but the work I was doing in mine was great as well.
A DEPLOYED UNIT (COMPANY OR HIGHER) WILL WEAR THEIR UNIT S SSI AS THE SSI-FWTS. THIS IS TRUE REGARDLESS OF WHETHER THE HEADQUARTERS ELEMENT DEPLOYS, AND REGARDLESS OF THE NUMBER OF CHANGES TO THE UNIT S ALIGNMENT OR OPERATIONAL CONTROL (OPCON) DURING THE PERIOD OF DEPLOYMENT.
The only exception to this is if they deploy as single elements. I had to pull this ALARACT info out a lot my last deployment cause units were making promises to the individual signal teams supporting bigger elements.
If I was ever in a situation where, by regs, I was authorized to wear an SF combat patch along with 1 or more alternate patches, I would not wear the SF patch. It just wouldn't feel right in my stomach. Who else has thoughts about this? I know everyone who has been in the Army for a bit has seen examples of this.
All you need are IA orders, TCS orders that put you with a certain unit in a designated combat zone...none of this MFR, ERB, 30-day in country 'patching' crap.
SUBJECT: AR 670-1, 3 FEB 05, WEAR AND APPEARANCE OF ARMY UNIFORMS
1. THIS MESSAGE SERVES AS IMPLEMENTING INSTRUCTIONS FOR CHANGES
TO THE WEAR POLICY OUTLINED IN AR 670-1, APPENDIX F, SHOULDER
SLEEVE INSIGNIA-FORMER WARTIME SERVICE (SSI-FWTS).
2. SINCE 1945, THE INTENT OF THE WEAR OF THE SSI-FWTS HAS BEEN TO
DENOTE SOLDIERS PARTICIPATION IN COMBAT OPERATIONS, AS DIRECTED
BY THE SECRETARY OF THE ARMY, WHILE SERVING WITH LARGE ECHELON
DEPLOYED UNITS. BASED ON THE WAY UNITS ARE CURRENTLY DEPLOYING,
THE WEAR POLICY FOR THE SSI-FWTS MUST BE REVISED TO CLEARLY
CAPTURE THE WARTIME RELATIONSHIP WITH FIGHTING UNITS ON THE
3. THIS POLICY CHANGE IS EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY AND IS NOT
4. THIS GUIDANCE APPLIES TO SOLDIERS OF ALL COMPONENTS (ACTIVE,
ARNG, AND USAR) THAT DEPLOY DURING PERIODS OF SERVICE DESIGNATED FOR WEAR OF THE SSI-FWTS, IN ACCORDANCE WITH AR 670-1, PARAGRAPH
5. THERE IS NO TIME-IN-THEATER REQUIREMENT TO BE AUTHORIZED TO
WEAR THE SSI-FWTS.
6. A DEPLOYED UNIT (COMPANY OR HIGHER) WILL WEAR THEIR UNIT S SSI
AS THE SSI-FWTS. THIS IS TRUE REGARDLESS OF WHETHER THE
HEADQUARTERS ELEMENT DEPLOYS, AND REGARDLESS OF THE NUMBER OF
CHANGES TO THE UNIT S ALIGNMENT OR OPERATIONAL CONTROL (OPCON)
DURING THE PERIOD OF DEPLOYMENT.
7. WHEN ECHELONS BELOW COMPANY LEVEL DEPLOY, MEMBERS OF THESE
UNITS WILL WEAR THE SSI OF THE LOWEST ECHELON DEPLOYED UNIT
(COMPANY OR HIGHER) IN THEIR NEW DEPLOYED CHAINS OF COMMAND AS
8. WHEN THERE IS NO INTERMEDIATE UNIT (COMPANY OR HIGHER) IN THE
DEPLOYED CHAIN OF COMMAND, DEPLOYED SOLDIERS WILL WEAR THE SSI OF THE SENIOR ARMY COMMAND IN THE THEATER AS THEIR SSI-FWTS.
9. SOLDIERS WHO ARE CROSS-LEVELED, ASSIGNED, ATTACHED, OR
AUGMENTING DEPLOYED UNITS, AND SOLDIERS WHO ARE TDY ON ORDERS
THROUGH THE USE OF DD FORM 1610 (REQUEST AND AUTHORIZATION FOR
TDY TRAVEL OF DOD PERSONNEL) WILL WEAR THE SAME SSI-FWTS WORN BY MEMBERS OF THEIR DEPLOYED UNIT (COMPANY OR HIGHER) TO WHICH
ATTACHED OR OPCON. THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO MEMBERS OF TRIAL
DEFENSE AND CIDC, WHO WILL WEAR THE SSI OF THEIR RESPECTIVE
COMMANDS AS THEIR SSI-FWTS.
10. SOLDIERS AUTHORIZED TO WEAR MORE THAN ONE SSI-FWTS MAY CHOOSE WHICH SSI-FWTS THEY WEAR. SOLDIERS MAY ALSO ELECT NOT TO WEAR THE SSI-FWTS.
11. PRECEDENCE WAS ESTABLISHED IN VIETNAM FOR ELEMENTS ORGANIC
TO, OR AN INTEGRAL PART OF AN ORGANIZATION TO WEAR THE
ORGANIZATIONAL SSI AS THEIR SSI-FWTS.
12. SOLDIERS ATTACHED OR OPCON TO OTHER SERVICES ARE NOT
AUTHORIZED TO WEAR OTHER SERVICES PATCHES AS THEIR SSI-FWTS
WITHOUT WRITTEN APPROVAL FROM THE DCS, ARMY G-1 OR A DELEGATED
13. POC FOR UNIFORM POLICY IS SGM K. EASLEY, DSN 225-5287; COMM.
[login to see] . E-MAIL IS [login to see] .MIL.
14. THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN APPROVED BY THE DCS, G-1.
15. THIS AUTHORITY IS EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY.
16. EXPIRATION. THIS MESSAGE WILL EXPIRE UPON NEXT PUBLICATION OF
17. EXPIRATION DATE CANNOT BE DETERMINED.