*** We’ve reached capacity for questions and comments for this event ***

The Department of Veterans Affairs and our community partners, to include Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors (TAPS), American Red Cross Military Veteran Caregiver Network, Blue Star Families, and Elizabeth Dole Foundation will be here to answer questions about survivor resources, benefits, caregiver support, memorial affairs, and mental wellness.

You can ask questions to the following people:
» COL Les' Melnyk - Chief of Public Affairs, National Cemetery Administration, VA
» Sgt Christopher Vidaurre - Senior Program Manager, George W. Bush Institute
» Melissa Comeau - Director, Military and Veteran Caregiver Network, American Red Cross
» RDML Ann Duff - Director, Office of Survivors Assistance, VA
» Marianne Delatorre - Community Engagement Manager, Elizabeth Dole Foundation
» Sgt Ed McEvoy - National Outreach Specialist, VA Vet Center
» Caregiver Support Program Team - Caregiver Support Program Office Team, VA
» Allyson Bowers - Team Lead, Code of Support
» Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors (TAPS)
Comments have been disabled
Responses: 87
Is a spouse eligible for any benefits for a disabled vet after he dies? Is there a minimum disability % necessary for the spouse to get benefits? Does the death have to be related to the disability?
SP5 Trisha Ryder
SP5 Trisha Ryder
5 mo
I am interested to find out what the cap on earnings is for a caregiver / death beneficiary.
Thank you, Trisha
1st Lt Carolyn Ouellette
1st Lt Carolyn Ouellette
5 mo
I am also interested in any benefits for a spouse after a disabled vet passes away. For example any in home care assistance, assisted living benefits if unable to stay at home ?
Thank you, Carolyn
COL Les' Melnyk
COL Les' Melnyk
4 mo
Yes, a spouse is eligible for burial allowances after their Veteran passes - this is true wheterh the Veteran ws disabled or not. To learn more and apply, visit: https://www.va.gov/burials-memorials/veterans-burial-allowance/ A VA Survivors Pension offers monthly payments to qualified surviving spouses and unmarried dependent children of wartime Veterans who meet certain income and net worth limits set by Congress. Find out if you qualify and how to apply here: https://www.va.gov/pension/survivors-pension/
Maj Kim Patterson
Edited 5 mo ago
Can you discuss staffing regarding mental health and MST please? Thank you,
PVT Gerd Gode
PVT Gerd Gode
5 mo
How can I obtain a DD214?
Sara Chase
Sara Chase
5 mo
PVT Gerd Gode -
You may request a copy of the veteran's DD Form 214, Report of Separation (or equivalent) for all periods of military service through the National Archives' National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) using SF 180
(09/2021 version), Request Pertaining to Military Records, (available at https://www.archives.gov/) or through your local public custodian of records.
SGT Unit Supply Specialist
thanks for the info.

Join nearly 2 million former and current members of the US military, just like you.