Posted on Jul 21, 2020
SP5 Robert Schramm
1.25K
13
4
5
5
0
I have received agent orange health ratings for benefit payments of 60% for heart attack and stents, 10% for prostate cancer (twice) ED, and 20% for type 2 diabetes. Although that adds up to 90% I am compensated at 70%. My question is why only 70% and not 90%?
Avatar_feed
Responses: 3
SSgt Engineering
5
5
0
The way VA compensation percentages work is tricky.

You were given 60% for your cardiac problems. This essentially means you are still 40% able.

The next disability percentage for diabetes, 20%, becomes 20% of what you are able after the first, so 20% of 40%. So that 20% adds 8% to your overall. Giving you 68% (60+8)

Last disability for probate cancer is 10%. That is 10% of what you have left over, so now you take 10% of 32% (100-68) which will add just over 3%.

Your total combined percentage is 71% which is rounded to the nearest tens, giving you an overall percentage of 70%.

It makes getting an overall 100% very difficult.
(5)
Comment
(0)
SP5 Peter Keane
SP5 Peter Keane
5 mo
Nailed it.
(1)
Reply
(0)
Avatar_small
SGT Herbert Bollum
1
1
0
VA starts with your 60% then looks at the remaining 40% not disabled and starts again to credit you with the next higher rating on that 40%, which would be 20% of the 40% still standing and keeps going at that rating each as part of what is left. You might try for 100% totally unemployable rating. since you are over 70% required for that consideration.
(1)
Comment
(0)
Avatar_small
COL John McClellan
1
1
0
There is a formula VA uses when you have these kinds of compounding ratings - you need to contact the office that sent your "70%" letter; or - contact a local Veterans Service Officer - someone trained in this area, to review it. VFWs, American Legions, etc. have these VSOs. Or, try you local County Veterans service office. Good luck!
(1)
Comment
(0)
Avatar_small

Join nearly 2 million former and current members of the US military, just like you.

close