First Sergeant Essig, that is a great question.
Here are some things that I will do when I am a First Sergeant:
- Quarterly Skip Level Meetings with Platoon Sergeants (or First Sergeant) and specialists and below
- Use of Microsoft Project or similar software to plan, track, and report on field missions, training plans, etc.
- An extra duty for Quality Assurance to periodically ensure records and processes are to standard
- Sponsors, preferably volunteers, for soldiers new to the company
- Geocaching events for fun, team-building, and land nav practice using map and compass instead of GPS
- An occasional "fun" day that isn't mandatory
- Periodic 360-degree reviews for NCOs
- Commander's incentive offering time off for school to those who reenlist for stabilization
- Opportunities to do volunteer work as a group, rather than just individually
Read This Next