Joint Base Lewis-McChord (JBLM), WA
Which potential degree path should I choose, a tech degree such as software development or cyber security, or a business degree?
Upgrade your browser in order to edit this page.
Joint Base Lewis-McChord (JBLM) is located in the beautiful Pacific Northwest on the Puget Sound, in Western Washington, JBLM is near the city of Lakewood, 10 minutes from Tacoma, 35 minutes from Seattle and 20 minutes from Olympia the state capital. Although we are a Joint Base, we are not contiguous. 7.9 miles separate Lewis-Main and McChord Fld. Both Lewis and McChord are situated in a key location along Interstate 5, allowing easy access to Sea-Tac Airport and to the deep water ports of Tacoma and Seattle. On a clear day, majestic Mount Rainier looms on the horizon, towering over the other peaks of the Cascade Range. (http://www.militaryinstallations.dod.mil/pls/psgprod/f?p=132:CONTENT:0::NO::P4_INST_ID,P4_INST_TYPE:5050,INSTALLATION)
Update: Unity Bridge has connected JBLM Lewis Main to JBLM McChord Field since its completion in May 2015. (http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/military/article26285545.html)
Things to do here
What are some things to do here?
Things to avoid here
What are some things to avoid here?
Advice for those moving here
Like any move, you want to ensure where you are wanting to live. I have listed a few helpful tips and advice.
1) Learn about the area you are moving to... If you are moving to Washington State, Welcome!!! you will find the Puget Sound to be absolutely beautiful...
2) The Puget Sound area is a high tech area with Boeing, Microsoft, and Amazon in the area... Be mindful it can get expensive in Seattle.
3) The I-5 corridor can be hectic, leave early and plan for heavy traffic...
4) Travel!!! You are about an average of 5 hours from awesomeness: Yakima has a great wine and agriculture area, Portland, OR is around that distance, and the Pacific Ocean is not too far... Everett offers Boeing Factory Tours - very impressive trip, even if you don't have an interest in aviation...
5) Visit the museums... very interesting displays, the Art scene is vibrant in Tacoma and Seattle.
6) Excellent colleges, but very much a pain to deal with. Most colleges do not have classes after 5:30 pm. If you work full time, it is very difficult to be able to attend school. I hear a lot about schools being military friendly, they are not... More Veteran friendly...