Upgrade your browser in order to edit this page.
American Military University (AMU) is a leading provider of affordable, quality online education to motivated students worldwide. Since its founding in 1991, AMU has delivered on its mission by providing affordable programs and unmatched support to help U.S. service members prepare for their military and post-military careers.
At a Glance:
- #1 Provider of education to the U.S. military – 50,000+ students and counting.
- More than 200 career-relevant undergraduate and graduate degree and certificate programs to choose from, including:
- Homeland Security
- Emergency and Disaster Management and many more
- 100% online classes start monthly and run 8 or 16 weeks – so it's easy to plan your schedule.
Why study here
We're an online university with boots on the ground at military installations around the country. Our military education reps have a deep understanding of your world and stand ready to discuss your education and career goals. AMU is:
- AMU is part of American Public University System (APUS), which is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, USA (www.ncahlc.org, 312-263-0456)
- Nationally recognized as the only five-time recipient of the OLC Effective Practice Award.
- Our bachelor’s programs have been named to U.S. News & World Report’s ranking of top online degree programs annually since 2013.
- Our total costs of combined tuition, books, and required fees are approximately 17% less for undergraduate and 37% less for graduate students than the average total costs of published in-state tuition, plus required fees and books, at public institutions.*
- Transfer Credit Evaluation (TCE) services can enable you to earn academic credit for eligible education (including military training) that you’ve already completed.
- Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) services offer you the opportunity to earn credit for military training and experience that you’ve acquired as part of your service and other eligible experience.
- Study on your terms 24/7, 365 days a year.
- Our classes operate on a weekly schedule with no specific logging in times during the week.
Veteran friendly programs
Since 1991, when AMU was founded by a Marine Corps officer, we’ve been on a mission to educate those who serve. Today, with more than 300 veterans on our faculty and staff, we have the experience and knowledge to help you take charge of your education.
We provide a tuition grant which caps our undergraduate tuition at $250/credit hour (the military TA cap) and graduate tuition at $325/credit hour for U.S. active-duty servicemembers, Guard, Reserve, military spouses and dependents, and veterans. Other resources:
Student Veterans Chapter
AMU’s online community dedicated to supporting the education, career development, and well-being of fellow veterans. With AMU you’ll be part of a close-knit community that’s truly dedicated to helping their own.
Virtual Veterans Center (VVC)
A service that offers branch-specific discussion boards, classroom support, career services, academic advising and a broad range of topics.
AMU’s Office of Career Services provides extensive support for students and graduates, including career planning guidance, resume advice, job seeking resources, and networking opportunities – all complimentary.